Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Joys of Homeschooling

Photobucket



Here is a great article from a mom who explains why she enjoys homeschooling her children. We think it is great article, and we couldn't agree more.

As a homeschooling mom, I am often asked the question of why I choose to teach my kids at home. There are many reasons why people choose to homeschool and they vary just as much as families vary.
I began my journey teaching my oldest son preschool skills and doing many different projects and crafts with him. As he become kindergarten age, I began exploring the homeschooling route. I spoke to many people, read many books, attended conventions, and went back and forth on the decision many times. I finally realized that I love being able to teach my kids. I love being able to see that moment click in their face when they finally understand something.

I love the flexibility it brings-being able to study flowers outside on a nice day, going on field trips with other friends, being able to spend a little extra time learning about horses because that is what my son is passionate about right now or being able to spend a little extra time learning about money skills with my daughter.

Together we have learned, grown, and met many new friends along this road. I now have three kids, am a single mom, and when people ask me why I homeschool, in a one sentence answer I respond, "I love watching the wonder of learning in my kids eyes and I would not trade it for anything in the world."

Do you homeschool your children? Share your experiences of being a homeschool parent, what do you enjoy most about it? It's a great way to keep a strong bond between you and your child, and especially communication which is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment