Monday, January 17, 2011

The Tiger Mom


A new memoir of bad-ass parenting, Chinese style, from a self-proclaimed tiger mother has unleashed a ferocious roar.

Fallout was swift for Yale law professor Amy Chua after she published a stark essay in The Wall Street Journal describing the harsh words and heavy handed methods she used with her two teen daughters.

Her "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" shot to No. 6 in the Amazon sales rankings Tuesday, the day it was released, likely fueled by angry buzz over the weekend column and a headline Chua had nothing to do with: "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior."

Adult offspring of Asian and Asian American immigrants are weighing in on Chua's provocative description of Eastern-style parenting: No sleepovers or playdates. Grueling rote academics. Hours of piano and violin practice. Slurs like "lazy" and "garbage," and threats to burn stuffed animals when things don't go mom's way. Click Here to Read More...

What are your thoughts on Amy Chua's Parenting Methods?

5 comments:

  1. I have heard the buzz. Got to check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got this week's Time Magazine in the mail, and Tiger Mom is the cover story! Interesting. Anyway, I found your blog through Click It Forward. I'm at www.toeuropewithkids.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just awful! She is teaching her daughters to walk on eggshells and be scared. Chua gets an F from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw her on GMA yesterday and she was backpeddaling. While i think her parenting style is completely backwards, I would have more respect for her if she didn't try to flip her view under criticism.

    Now following from http://www.babydealsdujour.com/blog
    We track all of the baby daily deals in real-time. Would love for you to stop by and follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you from the green blog hop.

    Although I don't agree with how far she took it, it did make me stop and look at my own parenting habits. Sometimes I do things for my kids that I should let them learn on their own. Sometimes I don't have very high expectations. That is being "nice" but is not going to teach them to strive for excellence any times soon. Often a child's self esteem is influenced more by feelings of pride over accomplishing things on their own, vs. their parents telling them how great they are.

    ReplyDelete